Monday, November 21, 2011

to work or not to work

During my pregnancy I was repeatedly asked if I would return to work or not after my maternity leave was up.  Initially, the answer was always yes.  I didn't want my life to revolve around my baby and I loved the feeling of being productive and because I work for a not-for-profit company, I also like that I help people.  However, as my due date drew nearer and now that Madeleine is here, I'm 99.9% sure that I won't be returning to the workforce before my daughter is 2 years old.  Here's why: 

1.  One of the reasons that I wanted to return to work was that I liked my job.  I still do like the work that I was doing but the further removed I become from my co-workers the more I realize that I want to be in a place that's much more professional.  I feel like I'm settling in the position that I currently have and that I can easily attain a bigger and better position.  

2.  On the note of bigger and better things, I do need to finish my studying and taking the exams for my CPA certification so I can move onto said bigger and better things.  There is absolutely no way that I can work full time, spend the time I want to spend with my daughter and still manage to successfully study and pass the CPA exams.  Out of those 3 things, the one I'm most willing to give up is work. 

3.  My boss is absolutely wonderful to work for.  He's motivating and critical without being pushy or offensive.  My co-workers on the other hand, there are a few that I do enjoy interacting with but the vast majority of my co-workers are tolerated and there are even a few that I go out of my way to avoid contact with entirely.  Like the co-worker who asked me point blank, at my desk, if my pregnancy was on accident and then followed that question up with asking if we conceived our baby on our honeymoon (both answers are no, btw).  Or the co-worker who cries when she asks me for my sales tax reports and if she doesn't get them within an hour of asking me for them, complains to my boss.  Or the other co-workers who complain whenever anything goes slightly amiss and nearly demand that I correct the situation, although the situations never have anything to do with me.  I can certainly live without all of that stress and drama in my life.  I would never want to bring that home with me, especially after being away from my daughter all day long.  

4.  Now that Madeleine is here, there are a handful of people that I fully trust to watch my daughter to babysit, and I only feel comfortable with my mom watching her overnight.  I honestly don't know what I would do with Madeleine for daycare if I were to return to work.  She's so little and I definitely don't want her to do in-home daycare because I don't feel like it's structured enough or that there is enough accountability and transparency for me to feel comfortable.  I wouldn't mind putting her into a larger structured daycare facility but at that point how much would I be shelling out for someone to watch my daughter?  Additionally, it doesn't feel right that I'm paying someone to spend time with my daughter when we can comfortably afford for me to stay home.  

5.  Lastly, the hubs really wants one of us to stay home with our daughter.  He wants at least one of us to be able to experience all of her "firsts" and major developments and not hear about them from someone else.  It's a pretty good argument.  

In short, I'm nearly positive that I'll be staying home with Maddie for the next couple years.  How did you decide whether or not to return to work after maternity leave was up?  

1 comment:

  1. These are all fantastic reasons to stay home with your sweet Maddie! It would be wonderful if my DH or I could stay home with our little one when she's here, but it probably won't happen -- we need the income at the moment. How great that you have this option! And you can still continue to work on your CPA certification. =)

    ReplyDelete