Monday, November 14, 2011

My Virtual Closet

I've been frequenting a website called Polyvore which is basically like a virtual closet where you can add existing items or wish-listed items, similar to the way you add items to Pinterest.  It's like having a virtual inspiration board where you can mesh many items together onto one board.  I happen to only use Polyvore for clothes for the time being (I plan on using it for home decor as well, once I'm not distracted by all of the beautiful clothes) and it's really been helping me to utilize more of my closet and unfortunately it's also been inspiring me to shop.  For example, yesterday I made this outfit:

Untitled #37


J Crew v neck t shirt, $20
Leather jacket, $108
Abercrombie & Fitch vintage jeans, $38
Juicy couture handbag, $198
Rachel crystal stud earrings, $12
Halogen wool scarve, $58


The only downside to this is that I have everything seen above with the exception of that leather jacket...and now I REALLY want that leather jacket. So I'm thinking what I'm going to do is make a list of items that I want but don't yet have and can't quite justify (leather jacket, Tory Burch leather flats, etc.) and slowly purchase them. I was thinking 1 - 3 wish list item a month is probably pretty good depending on the overall cost of the items. The upside is that this will prevent me from making impulse purchases of items that are worn once or twice and then sit in my closet until they're eventually given to the Goodwill. Really, I think this will just make me a smarter shopper. :) Or, at least, that's how I plan to explain it to my husband!

How do you add items to your closet? Are they planned out purchases or impulse buys?

No comments:

Post a Comment